What you’ll be doing
Reporting to the Yellow Kite Editorial Director and Associate Publisher, the successful candidate will assist with the development and editorial project management of a range of books in the areas of wellbeing, MBS, health, personal development and lifestyle. The role would suit a candidate with proven experience in an editorial role or an Editorial Assistant looking for the next step in their career. We are looking for someone who is passionate about this area of publishing; someone who has experience of liaising with authors and in-house departments, someone confident taking manuscripts through to finished copies, someone organised, and someone who is keen to develop their market awareness and contribute ideas as part of a small, knowledgeable, and highly successful editorial team. Some experience working on illustrated books would be a plus.
Tasks will include:
- Managing projects from acquisitions to final files including appointing freelancers, collating and sending out proofs
- Smooth running of the production schedules and effective prioritising
- Editorial work on manuscripts with guidance from Publisher
- Establishing and maintaining good relationships with authors/editors/contributors/publishing partners to maximise publishing success and to provide the highest standards of author care
- Managing existing authors on the list
- Reading and reporting on submissions; undertaking later reads on acquired and edited manuscripts
- Clearing permissions when requested
- Creating effective marketing and cover copy for each book
- Developing and maintaining databases, i.e. Biblio, ensuring accurate and timely updates, running reports as required
- Managing and optimising metadata as required
- Processing invoices and running costings
- Working with colleagues in sales/marketing/production/publicity to ensure they have all the necessary material for their purposes
- Backlist management and rejackets as requested
- Preparing e-book conversion forms and checking files
- Writing cover briefs, general marketing copy and catalogue copy
- Researching sales and statistics for market research
- Attending and contributing to editorial meetings as required
Who we are looking for
We are looking for someone with proven experience in desk editing. The successful candidate will be:
- Passionate about lifestyle, health, wellness, and MBS books
- Motivated, enthusiastic and with a ‘can-do’ attitude and an ability to anticipate problems and propose solutions
- Able to show confidence communicating with colleagues and stakeholders internally and externally
- Experienced at project management from manuscript through to publication
- Experienced at copyediting and proofreading with a meticulous eye for detail
- Able to multitask and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Experienced in Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Knowledge of Biblio would be an advantage.
- Comfortable handling legal reports and sensitivity reads
- Experienced in copyright and clearing permissions
What we offer
Hodder & Stoughton is based at Hachette UK’s riverside headquarters in London and is home to a creative, committed and convivial team of talented colleagues, working together to publish great books we love. You will get the opportunity to gain experience working as part of a small, friendly and collaborative editorial team in Hodder’s extremely successful Lifestyle department on a wide variety of books and digital products.
Our staff are our greatest asset and our benefits reflect this. In addition to 25 days annual leave days per year + bank holidays, we have an extensive list of benefits that include: a wide-ranging training library, development programmes including mentoring, Cycle to Work vouchers, Private Medical Insurance, eye care vouchers, up to 70% off book purchases, a charity book shelf, 2 community days per year, many employee networks to join, summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months!), season ticket loans, rent deposit loans, generous pension schemes and much more!
The role will be based at our London office, Carmelite House, with a blend of in-office (3 days) and homeworking (2 days) per week.
Who we are and what we do
Yellow Kite is one of Britain’s leading publishers of health, well-being and spirituality books and is part of the Hodder & Stoughton division of Hachette UK. We are the publishers of brand name authors, including Deliciously Ella, and Eckhart Tolle as well as a wide range of other authors writing in this space.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org