Commissioning Editor/Associate Publisher, Bookouture
What you’ll be doing
This is an exciting opportunity to launch a new science fiction and fantasy publishing list at one of the most successful and dynamic digital publishers in the world.
Find us, brilliant new authors. Publish great books. Collaborate with a talented team. And learn all there is to know about creating digital bestsellers.
We’re looking for someone who has the mindset to take charge of a whole new venture, who makes a habit of improving the way things are done, who embraces change and challenges, and who enjoys combining smart data and creativity.
We are looking for someone to wholly own this new branch of our publishing, who will have the owner mentality and growth mindset to build a list from the ground up. What subgenres should we be publishing in? What kind of writing will appeal most effectively to voracious digital readers? How will you find the best talent, both agented and unagented, and how will you persuade them of the benefits of our model? What’s the best way to spread the word and market our books?
We anticipate that as well as acquiring, you will be deeply involved in the branding, marketing, and publicity of this area of our publishing, working with our existing teams to ensure we are promoting the list, the authors, and the books in the most effective way possible, with a focus on driving sales and revenue. This is a chance for an ambitious genre editor or fan to launch an exciting new venture, backed by an expert team of digital publishers.
Who we are looking for
- You will have a strong sense of what science fiction and fantasy readers want, and have an eye for a great story
- You will be a creative copywriter, a meticulous editor, and excellent with authors
- You will have an eye for a brilliant cover design and know what makes a strong commercial package across the US and UK
- You will love using data to improve the way you do things
- You will have a can-do attitude and a creative approach to problem-solving
- Above all, you will have a deep understanding of how science fiction and fantasy publishing might work in a digital space, and the vision to deliver this
We are looking to hire at either Associate Publisher (equivalent to Editorial Director) or Commissioning Editor level with a salary range between £31,800-£50,000, but with the option to be flexible for the right candidate. You may well have some commissioning experience but your vision for launching this publishing list is more important than the number of years of experience you have.
What we offer
At Bookouture, editors have the freedom to acquire autonomously without hurdles to jump through, and we can go direct to designers with a creative vision. We have access to daily sales and pre-order numbers at the click of a
button. We can change covers, copy, and titles overnight – and see the impact the next day. We build strong and trusting relationships with our authors, collaborating with them to ensure readers love what we publish. Our books are published across the world, and we are as focused on the US as the UK. We were among the first to harness the power of data, and we believe we remain the best at it. We have the backing of a multinational with the mindset of a start-up. If you think this sounds like an exciting place to work, we want to hear from you.
- We offer flexible working for all staff, whatever your circumstances. This includes the opportunity to work from home for two days per week along with flexible hours to fit your life
- You can work at any of our national offices: London, Sheffield, Bristol, Manchester, Newcastle and Edinburgh
- We are also keen to hear from editors based in the US who could work fully remotely
- Bookouture is a dynamic working environment, where your ideas will be heard and where you will have the capacity to change things, take risks and do things differently
- We are a fun and sociable workplace where there is always lots going on
Our staff are our greatest asset and our benefits reflect this. In addition to 25 days annual leave per year + bank holidays, we have an extensive list of benefits that include: a wide-ranging training library, development programmes including mentoring, Cycle to Work vouchers, Private Medical Insurance, eye care vouchers, up to 70% off book purchases, a charity book shelf, 2 volunteer days per year to use at your charity of choice, many employee networks to join, delicious subsidized canteen food, summer hours (finishing at 1 pm on Fridays during the summer months!), season ticket loans, rent deposit loans, generous pension schemes and much more!
This role can be based at our London office, or at any of our new regional offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield or Bristol, with a blend of in-office (3 days) and homeworking (2 days) per week.
Who we are and what we do
Bookouture is the UK’s fastest growing digital publisher of commercial fiction. We are only nine years old but we have grown rapidly every year and have now sold over 50 million books to readers worldwide. To keep up this incredible rate of growth, we are looking for the best editorial talent to launch our first dedicated science fiction and fantasy publishing programme; and we are open to applications from across the world, not just in the UK.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org