Deutschland Editorial and Social Media Assistant
What you’ll be doing
- Supporting our Deutschland team to ensure that our books are as good as they can be. This will include overseeing editorial schedules, managing manuscripts from translation through copy edit stage through to typesetting / eBook conversion – focusing on producing smooth reading, error free final files and updating them.
- Learning to check the German text for the quality of translation at all stages.
- Commissioning ebook, audio and POD cover changes
- Supporting the team with author communication – updating authors on publication plans and sales.
- Assisting in creating and translating persuasive, effective product pages, marketing materials, metadata and keywords for every one of our German books.
- Assisting our Digital Operations Manager to ensure that our books are distributed to as broad an audience as possible with accurate pricing and metadata.
- Supporting the marketing and publicity teams with translated material for ads and social media posts.
- Running the social media accounts for Bookouture Deutschland.
Who we are looking for
- You will be fluent in German and English.
- You will be a keen and wide-ranging reader, with an insight into which books work and why, looking for your first or second role in publishing.
- You will have impeccable attention to detail, excellent organisation skills, and the ability to prioritise a busy workload on tight deadlines.
- You will be logical and analytical in your approach to all things.
- You will love using data to enhance creativity, and challenging and changing the way things are done.
- You will be very familiar with social media and how it is used to professionally promote content.
- You will have a growth mindset.
What we offer
Our staff are our greatest asset, and our benefits reflect this:
- 28 annual leave days per year, increases to 29 days after 2 years’ service and goes up to 30 days after 5 years’ (+ bank holidays)
- Private medical insurance
- Generous pension schemes
- Rent deposit loans
- 2 community days per year
- Summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months)
- Retail discounts through Hachette rewards
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Eye care vouchers
- Wide-ranging training library
- Development programmes (including mentoring)
- Up to 70% off book purchases
- A charity bookshelf
- 12 Staff-led employee networks that are voluntary, including Gender Balance, Thrive, Pride, All Together, Wellbeing and religious networks
- Season ticket loans
- And much more!
If based in London, the role will involve 3 days working in the office and 2 days working from home. If based in Berlin, the role will be home-based with the possibility of occasional use of a shared office space.
Who we are and what we do
Bookouture is the UK’s fastest growing digital publisher and a division of Hachette UK. We are 11 years old and have grown rapidly every year, with sales of over 69 million books to readers worldwide. To keep up this incredible rate of growth, we have launched a German arm of our publishing, which has proved equally successful. In just two years we have published 115 titles and have had more than 50 ebooks in the Kindle Top 100. We are expanding this German imprint again in 2024 and looking for someone exciting to join our highly successful team.
In the role of Editorial and Social Media Assistant, you’ll collaborate with a talented team to bring great translated books to the German market – and learn all there is to know about creating digital bestsellers. We’re looking not only for great publishing talent, but people who make a habit of improving the way things are done, who embrace change and who enjoy applying data to creativity.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org