What you’ll be doing
You will provide 3rd line operational support across the estate and will need to have a high degree of energy, enthusiasm and commitment to succeed.
You will contribute to the development of strategic and tactical engineering roadmaps for technologies and services in your area of responsibility, making sure that they are future proofed and that the organisation derives maximum value from investment in technologies.
The Network and Infrastructure team at Hachette design, procure, build, implement, and manage the delivery of infrastructure and security platforms across the Hachette network and services. We collaborate closely with the business to ensure the end product(s) meets best practices and guidelines. The individual carrying out Infrastructure Engineer role should be proactive, innovative, and enthusiastic with the capability to work on more than one project/work package simultaneously.
Example projects for this year include tuning of the WAF solution, Data centre Core network refresh, HQ Network refresh, Cyber Essentials certification and performance/security tuning.
Who we are looking for
The types of skills/experience you might bring to this role are:
- Production experience deploying, maintaining, operating and tuning products end-to-end on Microsoft technologies
- Nice to have – experience of scripting, automation, Infrastructure as code and the ability to share/coach other engineers in this discipline
- A strong work ethic coupled with a sense of responsibility and a "Can do " attitude. Proactive and curious when encountering situations outside of their previous experience
- Trustworthiness, integrity, and honesty; Ability to accept feedback from others with humility
- Ability to adapt, priorities workload and work on multiple activities at a time
- Ability to learn new skills and work with the SAP basis team to help future migrations and automation
- An inclusive approach to collaboration with well-developed communication skills, suitable for a multicultural, multidivisional organisation
- Outstanding interpersonal communication and social skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to convey complex messages effectively to a diverse range of audiences and deliver difficult messages
- Reporting – Ability to provide Project reports, service status and risks
- Linux – experience of building, recovery, and patching (SUSE preferred)
- Nice to have – experience of Azure including on-prem to Azure migrations
The types of experience you might have are:
- Experience with the ability to cope in a technically complex and fast-changing environment
- Experience with responding calmly and rationally to changing aspirations in a deadline-driven situations
- Experience in supporting and delivery of application security projects
- Experience of working within an ITIL support environment
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot difficult issues, and problem-solving skills with a focus on process improvements.
- Must have worked in a team where planning, self-starting, organisation and communication were key.
- Evidence of contribution to major project streams within IT and wider business, either by recommending improvement, assessing capability, or advising regarding technology or process
- Experience of establishing documented workflows and procedure.
- VMWare VCP, MCSE, CCNA CompTIA Network + or other relevant infrastructure related qualification.
- Azure Cloud technology certified
What we offer
Our staff are our greatest asset and our benefits reflect this. In addition to 25 days annual leave days per year + bank holidays, we have an extensive list of benefits that include: a wide-ranging training library, development programmes including mentoring, Cycle to Work vouchers, Private Medical Insurance, eye care vouchers, up to 70% off book purchases, a charity book shelf, 2 volunteer days per year to use at your charity of choice, many employee networks to join, summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months!), season ticket loans, rent deposit loans, generous pension schemes and much more!
This role is remote-based, but you would be expected to live within a commutable distance of either our London office or Distribution Centre outside Didcot in Oxfordshire. Whilst there is no set number of office days required, you will be expected to travel in to the offices or data centres (both based in West London) occasionally to provide support where issues cannot be resolved remotely. There will also be regular ‘critical mass’ days where the team will come together in person for workshops or teambuilding.
Who we are and what we do
The Network and Infrastructure team at Hachette design, procure, build, implement, and manage the delivery of infrastructure and security platforms across the Hachette network and services. We collaborate closely with the business to ensure the end product(s) meets best practices and guidelines.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org