Marketing Executive, John Murray Press
What you’ll be doing
The successful candidate will work on a wide range of fiction and non-fiction titles across all of John Murray’s diverse imprints, both in terms of running their own campaigns as well as working closely with senior team members.
From writing and communicating marketing plans, building reader pre-awareness and engaging booksellers, planning and implementing paid and organic social media campaigns, creating print and digital marketing materials, and analysing and reporting on campaign performance, you’ll play a crucial role in every step of a book’s journey – from acquisition to publication and beyond.
You’ll also be responsible for driving and contributing to the management of our imprint and community strategies, including the planning and delivering of social media, newsletters and broader initiatives to bring our books to readers.
Who we are looking for
Our ideal candidate will be confident, enthusiastic and full of ideas, with at least 1-2 years’ experience within the publishing industry in a marketing or comms assistant role. You’ll be creative, a strong copywriter and a highly organised and supportive team player with a can-do attitude. You will always show outstanding attention to detail and initiative in everything you do. You’ll have experience of helping to track budgets, working with third parties on partnerships and/or competitions to broaden the reach of your campaigns and a good understanding of how to reach different consumers with targeted messaging and initiatives.
Fantastic digital skills are essential, including a thorough knowledge of all major social media platforms and tools, and, ideally, Photoshop. You’ll also have proven experience of supporting a line manager and a busy marketing department and be able to build excellent working relationships across the business – in particular with colleagues in our editorial, publicity and sales teams.
- To plan and create highly impactful and effective on and offline audience-appropriate marketing campaigns across the John Murray list, collaborating with the full publishing team to directly drive sales and ensure a good return on investment
- To write compelling copy for a variety of marketing purposes, including book proofs, social content, newsletters, websites, social advertising and more
- Managing organic social media content and digital advertising, including running cost-effective, well-targeted Amazon Advertising
- Responsible for the design and production of marketing materials and overseeing a high quality of design and messaging across all communications to include advertising creative, presentations, pitches, bookshop POS, catalogues, internal templates and more
- Brief and work closely with third parties, including media buyers, creative agencies, printers and freelance designers to deliver campaigns creatively and effectively
- To run all campaigns to time and within set budget, ensuring appropriate allocation of resources and making sure all spend is tracked
- To analyse the effectiveness of your own marketing campaigns and those of competitors and use those findings to strengthen future campaigns to maximise ROI. Ensure appropriate reporting of activity and results
- Work with the literary and commercial editorial teams to create innovative pitches to acquire new authors as required
- Identify and develop relationships with key influencers and secure partnerships to broaden awareness of our authors and books
- Using market insights and data to understand customer need and therefore deliver an appropriate campaign / response accordingly
- Contributing own marketing expertise to decision making process of title acquisitions
- To ensure that all plans are communicated in a clear and timely way to all internal and external stakeholders ( authors/agents /internal teams)
- To monitor marketing and industry trends to help inform how we implement our campaigns
- To provide John Murray’s Marketing Director with team admin support
- To contribute to the first-class and award-winning reputation of our trade communications team
- A love of books and an understanding of the market
- Excellent skills in MS Office (Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Professional, proactive and organised
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Creative and proactive in seeking information
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to prioritise and juggle competing demands
- Ability to work on wide variety of projects with tight deadlines
- An eye for detail
- A knowledge of how to use Canva
- A knowledge of how to use social media scheduling platforms
- Experience with Photoshop (desirable but not essential)
What we offer
John Murray Press, part of Hachette UK, the UK’s leading book publisher, has an exciting opportunity for a creative, highly organised and commercially-aware Marketing Executive to join their innovative and award-winning Trade Communications team.
For 250 years, John Murray has published best-selling, pioneering and accessible non-fiction and fiction. Today, John Murray Press represents quality, diversity and populism, publishing entertaining, absorbing, prize-winning books, from Akala to Billy Connolly, Lisa McInerney to Mick Herron, Matthew Syed to Susie Dent.
Our staff are our greatest asset and our benefits reflect this. In addition to 25 days annual leave days per year + bank holidays, we have an extensive list of benefits that include: a wide-ranging training library, development programmes including mentoring, Cycle to Work vouchers, Private Medical Insurance, eye care vouchers, up to 70% off book purchases, a charity book shelf, 2 volunteer days per year to use at your charity of choice, many employee networks to join, delicious subsidized canteen food, summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months!), season ticket loans, rent deposit loans, generous pension schemes and much more!
This role can be based at our London office, or at any of our new regional offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield or Bristol.
The role will begin working from home due to ongoing Covid19 restrictions, but once normality resumes this role will be based at one of our UK offices, with a blend of in-office (3 days) and homeworking (2 days) per week.
Who we are and what we do
John Murray Press is one of the fastest growing and most profitable divisions of Hachette UK. In the past five years our authors have won the Costa Biography Award, the Costa First Novel Award, the Royal Society Science Book Prize, the Women’s Prize, the Desmond Elliott Prize and the Encore Award, among others. We were short-listed for Publisher of the Year at the British Book Awards in 2019 and John Murray won Imprint of the Year in 2017.
Our Trade-facing imprints include John Murray, publishing the very best in literary fiction and upmarket non-fiction; the newly announced Baskerville Books, publishing the most distinctive crime and thriller titles in the market; Two Roads, a proudly populist list of reading group fiction and mega-bestselling non-fiction; and Basic Books, the home of heavyweight non-fiction with a global outlook across history, economics, science and philosophy.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org