Production Controller (Fixed-Term), Hodder Education
Who we are and what we do
At Hodder Education, we are proud to be one of the largest education publishers in the UK and internationally, with a broad range of products and services for teachers and students, from curriculum resources to assessment materials. We aim to make a difference to teachers and students by producing quality resources and services, while continuing to grow as a successful and profitable business. Our success is rooted in our values: putting teachers and students at the heart of what we do, improving quality year on year, working collaboratively, and being trustworthy in what we publish and how we work.
What you’ll be doing
We are looking for a 12-month contract, full-time Production Controller who has proven experience at Controller level, including colour book production and working with suppliers worldwide. The successful candidate will join our busy, friendly Production department and will take responsibility for their own lists of new books, eBooks and reprints. Working closely with colleagues in Editorial and Design, as well as a range of suppliers, you will play a critical role as the company continues to grow through the timely delivery of high-quality products. A good understanding of typesetting, repro and print technology is a prerequisite. An eye for detail, teamwork skills and a ‘can-do’ attitude, even at the most hectic times, are all required. Knowledge of Biblio 3 is desirable, but not essential.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Using in-house system (Biblio 3) to raise estimates and print/purchase orders
- Being responsible for all production stages of title creation, including:
- Overseeing pre-press
- Creating and maintaining schedules to achieve target dates
- Keeping track of budget
- Print monitoring
- Maintaining production systems, including Biblio 3, SAP and ADAM
- Attending meetings to discuss progress of projects, agree budgets, processes and schedule
- Carrying out any other necessary administration as part of the book production process
- Communicating in a timely and professional manner with colleagues and suppliers
- Ensuring business quality standards are adhered to, including QC checks at pre-press and print stages
Who we’re looking for
The successful candidate is expected to have:
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and organise own workload effectively
- Budget management
- Negotiating skills
- Technical knowledge of print and how books are made
- Proven experience at Production Controller level
What we offer
Once it's safe to return, this role will be in our London office on Victoria Embankment, as part of an experienced team in a dynamic working environment. The opportunity of working from home can also be explored and supported once the candidate has been inducted successfully. We offer 25 days holiday per annum, a pensions scheme, season ticket loan and further benefits.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.