Publishing Executive, Bookouture
What you’ll be doing
- Supporting our editors to ensure that our books are as good as they can be. This will include overseeing editorial schedules, managing manuscripts from copy edit stage through to typesetting / eBook conversion – focusing on producing smooth reading, error free final files and updating them. There will also be opportunities to shadow-edit and contribute ideas for cover development.
- Supporting editors with author communication – updating authors on publication plans and sales.
- Assisting editors in creating persuasive, effective product pages, marketing materials, metadata, and keywords for every one of our books.
- Assisting our Digital Operations Manager to ensure that our books are distributed to as broad an audience as possible with accurate pricing and metadata.
- Supporting the audio team through all the stages of production to ensure the audio edition always hits simultaneous publication with the ebook edition.
Who we are looking for
- You will be a keen and wide-ranging reader, with an insight into which books work and why, looking for your first or second role in publishing.
- You will have impeccable attention to detail, excellent organisation skills, and the ability to prioritise a busy workload on tight deadlines.
- You will be logical and analytical in your approach to all things.
- You will love using data to enhance creativity, and challenging and changing the way things are done.
- You will have a growth mindset.
What we offer
- The role will involve 3 days working in the office and 2 days working from home.
- Bookouture is a dynamic working environment, where your ideas will be heard and where you will have the capacity to change things, take risks and do things differently.
- We are a fun and sociable workplace where there is always lots going on.
- You will be part of a fast-growing company, with the opportunities for career progression that offers.
Our staff are our greatest asset and our benefits reflect this. In addition to 25 days annual leave days per year + bank holidays, we have an extensive list of benefits that include: a wide-ranging training library, development programmes including mentoring, Cycle to Work vouchers, Private Medical Insurance, eye care vouchers, up to 70% off book purchases, a charity book shelf, 2 volunteer days per year to use at your charity of choice, many employee networks to join, summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months!), season ticket loans, rent deposit loans, generous pension schemes and much more!
This role can be based at our London office, or at any of our new regional offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield or Bristol, with a blend of in-office (3 days) and homeworking (2 days) per week.
Who we are and what we do
Bookouture is the UK’s fastest growing digital publisher and part of Hachette UK. We are only eight years old but we have grown rapidly every year and have now sold more than 50 million books to readers worldwide. To keep up this incredible rate of growth, we’re looking for someone to join our fiction editorial team.
In the role of Publishing Executive, you’ll collaborate with a talented team to create great books and take them to market – and learn all there is to know about creating digital bestsellers. We’re looking not only for great publishing talent but people who make a habit of improving the way things are done, who embrace change, and who enjoy applying data to creativity.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org