Senior Designer, Hachette Children's Group
Who we are and what we do
Hachette Children’s Group (HCG) is one of the largest children’s publishers in the UK, with an excellent track record in creating bestselling and award-winning books for children of all ages, with baby and pre-school books, picture books, gift, fiction, non-fiction, series fiction, books for the school and library market and licensed publishing.
What you’ll be doing
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a highly creative and organised senior designer to join us to work on our baby and pre-school publishing (primarily focusing on the Pat-a-Cake imprint). The role will involve creating covers and interiors for novelty, and board books taking concepts through to final design, sourcing and commissioning illustrators. The role also allows for the involvement and opportunity to pitch or develop new ideas within a highly creative team.
- Designing books (covers and interiors) for the baby and pre-school market
- Designing novelty book, Board books, activity, sticker, picture books, and gift sets
- Managing scheduling of titles into production, meeting budgets and deadlines
- Working closely with the editors and Art Director in the development of new and existing titles, and taking books from concept through to print ready files
- Actively participating in Creative Meetings to explore new ideas
- Sourcing and commissioning illustrators
- Ensuring all design work accurately fulfils the brief
- Ensuring administration, including approvals and file management, is up-to-date and accurate
Who we’re looking for
It’s a busy, fun team, and the ideal candidate will have drive, energy, and a demonstrable passion for making fantastic books for this developmental age group. You will need the ability to manage a busy workload, work well within our in-house team, as well as liaise closely with Production, Editors and Art Director from initial concepts through to the printed book. An awareness of the Children's book market for this age group, and a love or understanding of simple novelty will be vital for the development of this list, as well as a passion for exploring new ideas. Candidates must demonstrate considerable expertise in cover and page layout design. (Whilst visualising can sometimes be an component of this job this is not a role for a visualiser or illustrator.)
What we offer
This is an exciting opportunity for a middleweight designer who is ready to take the next step up, or a senior designer looking for a new opportunities. Once it's safe to return, this role will be based in our London office on Victoria Embankment.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.